This is a healthy and delicious soup that will satisfy any "dairy" cravings you might have with its velvety creamy texture.
In this recipe we will show you how you can easily make a dairy-free creamy soup just with the simple method of emulsifying cooked soup with Olive and Coconut Oil. The best part of this method is that it can be applied to many other dishes.
1. Clean and slice the leeks by removing the outer layer, cut off the bottom roots and tops just about where the green stems start to split and open up. Wash thoroughly to make sure no dirt is left especially inside the top green part. Cut the leeks lengthwise in half, then slice them about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Clean and chop all the garlic.
3. In a large pot add 4 tbsp of Olive Oil, the chopped Leeks, and Garlic and cook them slowly while you prep the rest of the vegetables. At this point all you have to worry about is not to burn them, so keep an eye on the pot and adjust the burner accordingly.
4. Clean the celery root by cutting off skin and roots. Using a box grater, grate the celery root and add it to the pot. If you are not familiar with this root vegetable The Kitchn blog as a really nice tutorial on how to clean celery root here.
5. Peel and clean the carrots, cut them lengthwise in half and slice them about half inc think. When you are done add them to the pot.
6. Peel and cut in cubes the potatoes (about half inc size). I prefer to use red potatoes in this recipe because I find white potatoes (such as Idaho) a too starchy and watery. Add to pot when done.
7. Last vegetable prep. Cut in half the red Bell Pepper and remove all seeds and stem, cut in half square inc pieces, add to pot when you are finished.
At this point, all the hard work is done! Just add 3 sprigs of fresh Marjoram (the stem can be removed later) some salt and pepper to taste and all the water.
Cook for about 45 min. just until all vegetables are tender.
Make the creamy puree:
To emulsify the soup you can use the following, a Vitamix (or similar) or an immersion blender, just make sure if you use the immersion blender to use a tall bowl or pot to blend in as the soup will splash all over if the container is too small.
You'll need about 3-4 cups of cooked soup to blend (a fair ratio of vegetables to broth is needed). Before blending let it cool a bit as the hot soup will create a lot of steam - so be careful!
In the blender (or tall bowl) add 4 tbsp of Olive Oil (more is always good) and the 2 tbsp refined Coconut Oil (Coconut Oil has a really nice buttery mouthfeel - just make sure is refined as the process removes the coconut flavor).
Cover the blender and make sure you start slow, the steam might burst the top off so hold it down and be careful! blend until reaches a velvet and creamy consistency.
Add the blended soup back to the pot, stir, adjust salt as needed and serve hot with Krumville's Croutons or a nice slice of our toasted Focaccia, drizzle on top some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fresh Marjoram leaves.
Enjoy and Buon Appetito!